Profession: President of Mexico
Why Famous: Nieto, commonly referred to as EPN, was President of Mexico from December 2012 to November 2018. Prior to this, he had been Governor of the State of Mexico; among other national and local roles.
His tenure as president has been criticized broadly, with several high-profile failures under his watch, as well as allegations of corruption and media bias. Despite this, EPN's concrete efforts have been heralded as positive: breaking up monopolies, reforming public education, etc.
- 2012-07-05 Enrique Pena Nieto of the Institutional Revolutionary Party is elected President of Mexico after a recount following irregularities
- 2012-07-08 Tens of thousands protest over election corruption in Mexico City after Enrique Peña Nieto's win in the country's presidential election
- 2012-12-01 Enrique Peña Nieto sworn in as President of Mexico
- 2016-01-08 Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto announces the recapture of drug lord Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, six months after he escaped prison
- 2019-01-15 Witness in El Chapo trial claims former Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto accepted $100 million bribe from the drug cartel head