Profession: Dictator of Albania
Biography: Hoxha was an Albanian grammar school teacher that went on to be a communist revolutionary, and then the First Secretary of the Party of Labour in Albania (1941–1985).
He served in a number of other roles during this period, including Prime Minister (1944–1954) and commander-in-chief of the armed forces (1945–1985). Throughout this period, which ended only with Hoxha's death, he was the symbolic head of state for Albania.
All in all, his leadership can be seen as successful across a variety of measures—from increasing literacy, rebuilding after the devastation from World War II, and making Albania self-sufficient in terms of food security.
At the same time, he has been criticised for his heavy-handed tactics in repressing political opposition; particularly by the Sigurimi, the secret police of communist Albania.
Born: October 16, 1908
Birthplace: Gjirokastër, Albania
Generation: Greatest Generation
Chinese Zodiac: Monkey
Star Sign: Libra
- 1944-05-24 Enver Hoxha becomes head of Albania's anti fascists
- 1945-11-10 General Enver Hoxha becomes leader of Albania
- 1946-01-11 Enver Hoxha declares People's Republic of Albania with himself dictator
- 1985-04-13 Ramiz Alia succeeds Enver Hoxha as party leader of Albania
- 1991-02-20 A gigantic statue of Albania's long-time dictator, Enver Hoxha, is brought down in the Albanian capital, Tirana, by mobs of angry protesters