Biography: Eric Clapton is an English rock and blues guitarist, singer, and songwriter, widely considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time. With a career spanning over five decades, Clapton has been a member of several influential bands and has also had a highly successful solo career.
In his early years, Clapton was part of The Yardbirds, a band that played a crucial role in the British blues boom of the 1960s. He later formed Cream with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, which became a pioneering force in rock music. Songs like Sunshine of Your Love and Crossroads are among the band's notable hits. Clapton's solo work further showcased his musical talent, with hits like Tears in Heaven and Layla.
Clapton's contributions to music have earned him numerous accolades and awards, including 18 Grammy Awards. He is the only three-time inductee to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, once as a solo artist and separately as a member of both The Yardbirds and Cream.
- 1979-05-19 British guitarist Eric Clapton (34) marries model and George Harrison's ex-wife Pattie Boyd (35); divorce in 1989
- 2002-01-01 British guitar legend Eric Clapton (56) weds Melia McEnery (25) at St. Mary Magdalen Church in Surrey, London
- 1965-03-13 British guitarist Eric Clapton quits the Yardbirds due to the band moving away from traditional blues; Jeff Beck becomes his replacement
- 1968-09-06 Eric Clapton records guitar tracks for George Harrison's Beatles song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"
- 1969-06-07 Supergroup Blind Faith's debut performance in Hyde Park, London, featuring Eric Clapton, Steve Winwood, Steve Baler and Rick Grech
- 1969-09-13 Plastic Ono Band's 1st live performance, featuring John Lennon, Yoko Ono and Eric Clapton, at the Toronto Rock and Roll Revival festival
- 1971-08-01 George Harrison's benefit concerts for Bangladesh (2 shows) take place at Madison Square Garden, NYC; performers include Bob Dylan, Ringo Starr, Ravi Shankar, Eric Clapton, Billy Preston, and Leon Russell
- 1986-10-16 Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards organizes concert celebrating rock and roll legend Chuck Berry's 60th birthday at the Fox Theatre in St. Louis, Missouri; performers include: Richards, Berry, Johnnie Johnson, Eric Clapton, Etta James, Linda Ronstadt, Robert Cray, and Julian Lennon among others
- 1987-06-05 Prince's Trust Rock Gala: Eric Clapton leads an all-star band including George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Phil Collins, and Jeff Lynne at Wembley Stadium, London
- 1992-01-16 Eric Clapton performs for an episode of MTV "Unplugged" at Bray Film Studios in Windsor, England. Recording won six Grammy Awards, and became Clapton's bestselling album, and the bestselling live album of all time
- 1993-02-24 35th Grammy Awards: "Tears in Heaven" by Eric Clapton wins
- 1999-01-11 26th American Music Awards: Celine Dion & Eric Clapton win
- 1999-06-24 Christie’s Auction House in New York City conducts sale of 100 of Eric Clapton’s guitars to benefit Crossroads Centre at Antigua, a drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation facility he co-founded in 1997, raising nearly $4.5M; "Brownie", a 1956 Fender Stratocaster used on the original recording of "Layla" sells for a then record $450,000
- 2000-03-06 15th Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees: Eric Clapton; Earth, Wind, and Fire; Lovin' Spoonful; The Moonglows; Bonnie Raitt; James Taylor; Nat King Cole; Billie Holiday; Hal Blaine; "King" Curtis; James Jamerson; Scotty Moore; Earl Palmer; and Clive Davis
- 2002-11-29 "The Concert for George", a benefit memorial to George Harrison held at the Royal Albert Hall, London, features Eric Clapton; Paul McCartney; Ringo Starr; Jeff Lynne; Tom Petty; Joe Brown; Anoushka Shankar; Billy Preston; and members of Monty Python
- 2004-06-24 Christie’s Auction House in New York City conducts sale of 80 of Eric Clapton and friends' guitars to benefit Crossroads Centre at Antigua, a drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation facility he co-founded in 1997, raising over $5M; "Blackie", a 1956-57 composite Fender Stratocaster used as his primary instrument form the mid 70s until 1985 sells for a then record $959,500
- 2011-03-09 Bonham's Auctions in New York City conducts sale of Eric Clapton and friends' guitars and amplifiers to benefit Crossroads Centre at Antigua, a drug and alcohol residential rehabilitation facility he co-founded in 1997, raising over $1.75M