Why Famous: One of the most famous authors of the early 20th-century. He published seven novels, six short story collections, and two non-fiction works. Many of his works are considered classics of American literature, and he won the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1954.
- 1921-09-03 American author and journalist Ernest Hemingway (22) marries 1st wife Hadley Richardson (29)
- 1927-05-10 1954 Nobel Prize winner in Literature Ernest Hemingway (27) weds journalist Pauline Pfeiffer (31)
- 1940-11-04 American author and journalist "The Old Man and the Sea" Ernest Hemingway divorces 2nd wife Pauline Pfeiffer
- 1940-11-05 American author and journalist "The Old Man and the Sea" Ernest Hemingway marries journalist Martha Gellhorn
- 1945-12-21 American author and journalist "The Old Man and the Sea" Ernest Hemingway and journalist Martha Gellhorn divorce after 5 years of marriage.
- 1946-03-14 American author and journalist "The Old Man and the Sea" Ernest Hemingway marries Mary Welsh
- 1937-10-15 Ernest Hemingway novel "To Have & Have Not" published
- 1940-03-26 Ernest Hemingway & Benjamin Glazer premiere in NYC
- 1946-08-28 Film noir "The Killers" premieres, directed by Robert Siodmak, starring Burt Lancaster and Ava Gardner, based on a story by Ernest Hemingway
- 1952-09-08 Ernest Hemingway's novel "The Old Man & the Sea" published
- 1953-05-04 Pulitzer Prize for Literature awarded to Ernest Hemingway for "The Old Man & The Sea"
- 1954-10-28 Nobel Prize for Literature is awarded to Ernest Hemingway
- "The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."