Profession: German WWII Field Marshal
Why Famous: Rommel was a highly respected German military officer who was respected by both his allies and his adversaries. Nicknamed the Desert Fox, his command of the Afrika Korps during the North African Campaign garnered him a reputation as one of the most able tank commanders of the war, as well as giving him a reputation among his adversaries for chivalry and honor.
Later in the war he led Germany's forces opposing the Allied invasion of Normandy in 1944. During that same year, he was implicated in the 20 July plot to assassinate Adolf Hitler, though the level of his participation is debated by historians. As Rommel was a national hero, Hitler did not wish to make his downfall public, and he was offered the chance to take his own life to avoid repercussions against his family. In public Rommel's death was announced to be the result of a strafing attack by an Allied aircraft in Normandy.
The level of participation by Rommel in supporting Nazi ideology has been the subject of historical debate.
- 1916-11-29 Erwin Rommel marries Lucie "Lu" Mollin
- 1940-06-19 German 7th Armoured division under command of Rommel occupies Cherbourg
- 1941-02-11 Lt-Gen Erwin Rommel arrives in Tripoli
- 1941-12-17 German troops led by Erwin Rommel begin retreating in North Africa
- 1942-01-25 Lt General Rommels African corps reaches Msus
- 1942-01-26 Italian supreme command demands dismissal of German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
- 1942-03-26 German offensive in North Africa under General Erwin Rommel
- 1942-06-21 Rommel takes Tobruk in North Africa
- 1942-10-25 Field Marshal Rommel back in North Africa
- 1942-11-22 Adolf Hitler orders Rommel's Africa Korps to fight to the last man
- 1943-03-06 Battle at Medenine, North Africa: Rommel's counterattack
- 1944-05-14 Gen Rommel, Speidel & von Stulpnagel attempt to assassinate Hitler
- 1944-06-05 German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel goes on leave just before WWII D-Day landings by the Allies
- 1944-06-29 Rommel & von Rundstedt travel to Berchtesgaden
- 1944-10-07 Field Marshal Erwin Rommel ordered to return to Berlin