Profession: Holy Roman Emperor
Biography: As Holy Roman Emperor, among other titles, Ferdinand was a staunch Catholic and supporter of Counter-Reformation measures; for instance, expelling Protestant pastors and teachers and restoring Catholic parishes.
He had been sent to study with Jesuits by his parents, themselves devout Catholics, with their intent being that he was isolated from the Lutheran influences at court. Ultimately his parents wishes were fulfilled, with Ferdinand playing a key role in the Roman Catholic Counter-Reformation.
During his reign, Ferdinand was also a major player in the Thirty Years' War in which his strategy was largely dictated by religious concerns.
Born: July 9, 1578
Birthplace: Graz, Duchy of Styria, Austria, Holy Roman Empire
Star Sign: Cancer
Died: February 15, 1637 (aged 58)
- 1619-08-08 Duke Maximilian I & Emperor Ferdinand II signs Treaty of Munchen
- 1619-08-28 Ferdinand II elected Holy Roman Emperor (rules till 1637)
- 1620-02-04 Prince Bethlen Gabor of Hungary signs peace with Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II
- 1621-12-13 Emperor Ferdinand II delegates 1st anti-Reformation decree
- 1621-12-31 Hungarian King Bethlen Gabor and Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II sign the Treaty of Mikulov
- 1624-05-08 Hungarian King Bethlen Gabor & Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II sign Treaty of Vienna
- 1626-12-20 Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II and Prince of Transylvania Gabor Bethlen sign Peace of Pressburg (Bratislava)
- 1628-08-01 Emperor Ferdinand II demands Austria Protestant convert to Catholicism
- 1629-05-22 Emperor Ferdinand II & Danish King Christian IV sign Peace of Lubeck
- 1630-07-03 Emperor Ferdinand II opens German Parliament
- 1630-08-13 Ferdinand II dismisses supreme commander Albrecht von Wallenstein
- 1634-01-24 Emperor Ferdinand II declares Albrecht von Wallenstein a traitor
- 1634-02-18 Ferdinand II orders commander Albrecht von Wallenstein's execution
- 1634-08-26 Battle at Nordlingen Bavarian: Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinand II and Spanish forces defeat a force of Swedish and German protestants
- 1635-05-30 The Peace of Prague signed between the Habsburg Emperor Ferdinand II and the Electorate of Saxony (representing Protestant states of the Holy Roman Empire). It effectively ended the civil war aspect of the Thirty Years' War
- 1635-09-18 Emperor Ferdinand II declares war on France