Why Famous: The most renowned seaman of the Elizabethan era, Francis Drake helped defeat the Spanish Armada.
He also carried out the second circumnavigation of the world, between 1577 to 1580.
Birthplace: Tavistock, England, United Kingdom
- 1573-08-07 Francis Drake's fleet returns to Plymouth after a year spent raiding for Spanish treasure
- 1577-11-15 Sir Francis Drake aboard Pelican travels from Chile to Washington
- 1577-12-13 Sir Francis Drake sets sail from England on a circumnavigation of the world
- 1579-06-17 English navigator Francis Drake lands on the coast of California at Drakes Bay, names it "New Albion"
- 1579-07-26 Francis Drake leaves San Francisco to cross Pacific Ocean
- 1581-04-04 Francis Drake knighted by Queen Elizabeth I aboard Golden Hind at Deptford
- 1590-07-06 English admiral Francis Drake takes Portuguese Forts at Taag