Profession: Singer and Actor
Why Famous: Frank Sinatra first came to fame as a idol for bobbysoxers in the 1940s.
Sinatra also had a career in film, before his break-through role in 'From Here to Eternity' for which he won an Oscar for best supporting actor. He went on to star in films such as 'Man with the Golden Arm', 'Guys and Dolls' and 'Oceans Eleven'.
He started Reprise Records in 1961 and continued to record successful albums with such hits as 'Strangers in the Night', 'Somethin' Stupid' and 'My Way'.
Sinatra performed and recorded into his 1980s and became one of the best selling recording artists ever.
- 1939-02-04 Singer Frank Sinatra (23) marries 1st wife Nancy Barbato
- 1951-10-29 Singer/actor Frank Sinatra and 1st wife Nancy (Barbato) divorce due to infidelity after 12 years of marriage
- 1951-11-07 Entertainer Frank Sinatra (34) marries 2nd wife film star Ava Gardner (26)
- 1957-07-05 Singer and actor Frank Sinatra and movie star Ava Gardner divorce after 6 years of marriage
- 1966-07-19 50 year old Frank Sinatra marries 21 year old Mia Farrow in Las Vegas
- 1968-08-16 Singer/actor Frank Sinatra and 3rd wife actress Mia Farrow divorce after 2 years of marriage
- 1976-07-11 Singer and actor Frank Sinatra (60) marries 4th wife Barbara Marx (45)
- 1939-07-13 Frank Sinatra makes his recording debut
- 1940-02-02 Frank Sinatra's singing debut in Indianapolis (Tommy Dorsey Orchestra)
- 1941-02-07 Frank Sinatra & Tommy Dorsey orchestra record "Everything Happens to Me"
- 1943-02-06 Singer Frank Sinatra debuts on radio's "Your Hit Parade"
- 1943-12-31 NYC's Times Square greets Frank Sinatra at Paramount Theater
- 1949-12-08 "On the Town", the film adaptation of the Broadway musical, starring Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Ann Miller and Vera-Ellen, is released
- 1951-03-27 Frank Sinatra records "I'm a Fool to Want You"
- 1953-08-05 "From Here to Eternity" based on book by James Jones, directed by Fred Zinnemann and starring Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift and Frank Sinatra is released (Academy Awards Best Picture 1954)
- 1960-12-19 Frank Sinatra's 1st session with Reprise Records (Ring-A-Ding-Ding)
- 1961-02-13 Frank Sinatra launches Reprise label under Warner Bros Records
- 1962-10-24 "The Manchurian Candidate", directed by John Frankenheimer, starring Frank Sinatra and Laurence Harvey, is released
- 1966-04-11 Frank Sinatra records "Strangers in the Night" single for his album of the same name. Later reaches #1 Billboard charts
- 1967-03-02 9th Grammy Awards: "Strangers in the Night" by Frank Sinatra wins best record, "Michele" by The Beatles best song
- 1968-12-30 Frank Sinatra first records "My Way" with lyrics were written by Paul Anka and based on the French song "Comme d'habitude"
- 1980-01-26 175,000 pay to hear Frank Sinatra sing in Rio de Janeiro
- 1980-06-14 Theme From NY, NY by Frank Sinatra hits #32
- 1997-01-09 Heart attacks sends Frank Sinatra back to hospital
- "Fear is the enemy of logic."