Why Famous: Considered the fifth Greatest Male Star of All Time by the American Film Institute.
His stage and subsequent film and television careers spanned a total of 76 years, during which he made 31 musical films, several award-winning television specials and numerous recordings.
He is best known as Ginger Rogers' dancing partner and romantic interest, with whom he co-starred in a series of ten Hollywood musicals which transformed the genre.
- 1933-07-12 Fifth Greatest Male Star of All Time Fred Astaire (34) weds socialite Phyllis Livingston Potter (25)
- 1930-11-18 Musical "Smiles" with Bob Hope and Fred Astaire premieres in NYC
- 1932-12-22 Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers 1st joint movie "Flying Down to Rio," directed by Thornton Freeland, premieres in NYC
- 1933-12-02 Fred Astaire's 1st film, "Dancing Lady", released
- 1936-09-04 "Swing Time", directed by George Stevens, starring Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers, is released