Full Name: Frederick Robert "Fred" Spofforth
Why Famous: Known as "The Demon Bowler" Spofforth was arguably Australia's finest pace bowler of the 19th century.
The first bowler to take 50 test wickets, Spofforth was also the first to achieve a test hat-trick in 1879.
Spofforth ended his 18 test career with 94 wickets at an average of 18.41.
- 1877-03-31 Test Cricket debut of feared Australian fast bowler Fred "The Demon" Spofforth; Australia loses 2nd Test by 4 wickets vs England at Melbourne Cricket Ground
- 1879-01-02 Australian fast bowler Fred Spofforth dismisses 3 English batsmen with consecutive deliveries during the 3rd Test at the Melbourne Cricket Ground for Test cricket's first "hat-trick"
- 1882-08-29 Fred Spofforth completes 14-90 for match v England (7-46 & 7-44)
- 1884-05-26 Fred Spofforth takes 7-34 & 7-3 v England XI in 4 hours
- Spofforth, Frederick Robert (1853–1926) - Australian Dictionary of Biography