Full Name: Frederick I
Profession: Holy Roman Emperor
Why Famous: Holy Roman Emperor from 1155 until his death.
Frederick I was elected King of Germany at Frankfurt on 4 March 1152 and crowned in Aachen on 9 March 1152.
He became King of Italy in 1155 and was crowned Roman Emperor by Pope Adrian IV on 18 June 1155.
- 1152-03-04 Frederick I Barbarossa elected Holy Roman Emperor
- 1153-03-23 Treaty of Konstanz between Frederick I "Barbarossa" & Pope Eugene III
- 1155-06-18 Pope Adrian IV crowns Frederick I Barbarossa Roman-German Emperor
- 1156-09-17 Emperor Frederick Barbarossa issues the 'Privilegium Minus' decree, which elevated Austria to a duchy.
- 1158-11-11 Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa declares himself ruler of North Italy
- 1165-11-25 Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I (Barbarossa) visits Utrecht
- 1176-05-29 Battle at Legnano: Lombard League beats Frederick Barbarossa and the Holy Roman Empire
- 1178-07-30 Frederick I (Barbarossa), Holy Roman Emperor, crowned King of Burgundy
- 1183-06-25 Peace of Konstanz signed between Hohenstaufen Emperor Frederick Barbarossa and Italian Lombard League
- 1189-05-11 Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa and 100,000 crusaders depart Regensburg for the Third Crusade
- 1190-06-10 Third Crusade: Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I Barbarossa drowns while crossing the Saleph River (modern Turkey) leading an army to Jerusalem