Full Name: Magdalena Carmen Frida Kahlo y Calderón
Biography: Frida Kahlo began painting in 1925 while recovering from a serious traffic accident. Her work revolved around her own identity, and in particular the physical pain she suffered after her accident and her tempestuous relationship with fellow Mexican artist Diego Rivera.
Frida met Diego Rivera through the Mexican Communist Party, which they were both members of. They married in 1929. Ex-martial affairs marked their marriage and led to their divorce in 1939 before they remarried again the next year.
Kahlo received some recognition during her lifetime, French surrealist artist André Breton arranged her first solo exhibition at the Julien Levy Gallery in New York in 1938.
However true international fame did not come until after Kahlo's death, when in the late 1970s she as acclaimed as a feminist and for her explorations of Mexican identity.
- 1929-08-21 Painter Diego Rivera (42) weds fellow artist Frida Kahlo (22)
- 1940-12-07 Mexican painters Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo remarry in San Francisco (divorced 1939)
- 2001-06-21 Mexican artist Frida Kahlo is the 1st Hispanic woman to be honored on a US postage stamp
- 2007-06-13 First large scale exhibition of Mexican artist Frida Kahlo's work in Mexico opens at Palacio de Bellas Artes on the 100th anniversary of her birth
- 2018-04-20 Mexican court bars sales of controversial Frida Kahlo Barbie doll
- 2021-11-16 Frida Kahlo's self-portrait "Diego y yo" (1949) sells for $34.9m - record price at for a Latin American work at auction