Full Name: Temujin
Profession: Great Khan of the Mongol Empire
Biography: Founder of the Mongol Empire, which became the largest contiguous empire in history after his demise. He came to power by uniting many of the nomadic tribes of northeast Asia.
After founding the Mongol Empire and being proclaimed "Genghis Khan," he started the Mongol invasions that resulted in the conquest of most of Eurasia.
Birthplace: , Mongolia
- 1215-06-01 Peking [Beijing], then a city of over one million, under control of Jurchen ruler Emperor Xuanzong of Jin, is captured and looted for a month by the Mongols under Genghis Khan
- 1220-02-15 Khwarezmian city of Bukhara taken by Genghis Khan's Mongol army after a 12-day siege, with the death of about 30,000 of its citizens
- 1221-11-24 Battle of the Indus: Genghis Khan's Mongol force defeats Shah Jalal ad-Din's army, last battle in Mongolian conquest of Khwarezmian Empire
- 1222-05-15 Mongolian leader Genghis Khan meets the leader of the Taoist Dragon Gate sect Chang Chun at his camp in Parwan (Afghanistan)
- 1223-05-31 Mongol invasion of the Cumans: Battle of the Kalka River - Mongol armies of Genghis Khan lead by Subutai defeat Kievan Rus and Cumans
- 1229-09-11 Ogodei, son of Genghis Khan, is elected the Mongolian Khan, succeeding Genghis after his father's death (or 13 Sept)
- 1952-08-20 13th Venice Film Festival: "Genghis Khan" directed by Manuel Conde wins the Golden Lion