Full Name: George Perry Floyd
Profession: Victim of Police Brutality
Biography: George Floyd was a 46 year old bouncer whose violent death at the hands of police officers in Minneapolis ignited huge Black Lives Matter protests in America and around the world.
Born in North Carolina, Floyd grew up in Houston, Texas and showed promise as a student athlete. In 2017 he moved to Minneapolis to be with his mother and make a new start. He was stopped by police officers 25 May 2020 for allegedly possessing a counterfeit bill.
A bystander recorded the last minutes of Floyd's life, as he was restrained for nearly nine minutes, pleading for his life saying "I can't breathe". One police officer knead on his neck and two others held him down. Floyd's death was eventually ruled a homicide and the police officers arrested for his murder.
Floyd's death was marked by a number of public memorials. Al Sharpton led a memorial in Minneapolis, a public viewing was held in Raeford, North Carolina and a public memorial was also held in Houston.
Floyd's death also started a new more urgent conversation in America about policing methods and institutionalized racism.
- 2020-05-25 Video of African American George Floyd's arrest and murder while restrained in Minneapolis police custody shows he was pinned to the ground by police officer Derek Chauvin's knee for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, ignites widespread condemnation and nationwide protests
- 2020-05-28 Minnesota Governor Tim Walz declares State of Emergency in Minneapolis and activates the Minnesota National Guard after protests over the death of George Floyd in police custody
- 2020-06-01 US President Trump threatens to employ the military to quell protests across the country sparked by the death of George Floyd then walks with staff to St. John’s Church
- 2020-06-02 UN human rights chief, Michelle Bachelet says pandemic exposing "endemic inequalities" around the world, cites death of George Floyd and higher death toll for ethnic minorities
- 2020-06-03 Three former police officers charged in connection with death of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Derek Chauvin's charge upgraded to second degree murder
- 2020-06-04 Memorial for George Floyd led by Rev. Al Sharpton, killed in police custody, in Minneapolis, as 10th night of protests at his death held around the country
- 2021-03-29 Trial of former police officer Derek Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd begins in Minneapolis
- 2021-04-20 Former police officer Derek Chauvin convicted of the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis, in a case that prompted huge nationwide racial justice protests
- 2021-06-11 Pulitzer Prizes awarded to Katori Hall for drama, The New York Times for pandemic coverage and special citation for Darnella Frazier for recording the murder of George Floyd
- 2021-06-25 Former US police officer Derek Chauvin sentenced to 22 years and six months for the murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis