Profession: Union General
Biography: Major general during the American Civil War and the Democratic presidential nominee in 1864, who later served as Governor of New Jersey. He organized the famous Army of the Potomac. Early in the war, he played an important role in raising a well-trained and organized army for the Union.
- 1860-05-22 US Major General George McClellan (33) weds Mary Ellen Marcy at Calvary Church in NYC, New York
- 1861-06-14 Harpers Ferry evacuated by rebels in face of General George McClellan's advance
- 1861-07-27 Union General George McClellan takes command from McDowell of Potomac Army
- 1861-11-01 General George McClellan made general in chief of Union armies
- 1862-01-26 Lincoln issues General War Order #1, calling for a Union offensive, General George McClellan ignores order
- 1862-03-11 Abraham Lincoln removes George McClellan as General-in-Chief of the US Army
- 1862-05-04 Yorktown, VA - McClellan halted his troop before town as it is full of armed torpedoes left by CS Brigadier General Gabrial Rains
- 1862-06-15 Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart completes his "ride around McClellan"
- 1862-10-12 Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart completes his "second ride around McClellan"