Full Name: George Roger Waters
Profession: Rock Bassist and Vocalist
Why Famous: The lead vocalist, songwriter and bassist for the British rock band Pink Floyd. Waters was one of the original founders of the band in 1965 alongside Syd Barrett (guitar, lead vocals), Nick Mason (drums) and Richard Wright, with David Gilmour joining in 1967.
Waters took over lead vocals after Barrett left the band in 1968 and led the creative vision that produced a series of phenomenally popular high concept albums that made the band one of the world's best selling musical artists. The band's biggest successes of this period include "Dark Side of the Moon", released in 1973, "Wish You Were Here" in 1975 and "The Wall" in 1979.
Disputes within the band led to Waters leaving the band in 1985. Believing that the band was a spent force, Waters initially insisted the band disband, taking the dispute to the High Court before settling out of court with his teammates.
- 1993-07-28 Pink Floyd musician Roger Waters (49) weds Pricilla Phillips
- 2012-01-14 Pink Floyd vocalist Roger Waters (68) weds filmmaker Laurie Durning
- 1967-03-11 Pink Floyd releases 1st single "Arnold Layne"
- 1967-05-12 1st quadraphonic concert by Pink Floyd at the Games for May concert in London
- 1967-08-04 Pink Floyd releases their first album "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn", their only record made under the leadership of Syd Barrett.
- 1967-10-01 Pink Floyd arrive in New York for their first US tour
- 1968-02-18 David Gilmour joins rock group Pink Floyd
- 1973-03-01 Pink Floyd release their album "Dark Side of the Moon", since sold over 45 million copies
- 1975-07-05 At Knebworth Festival in England, Pink Floyd debut their album "Wish You Were Here" with pyrotechnics and an exploding plane which flies into the stage
- 1975-09-12 Pink Floyd releases their ninth album "Wish You Were Here"
- 1975-09-25 Pink Floyd's concept album "Wish You Were Here" reaches No. 1 in the US, goes on to sell 13 million copies
- 1979-02-07 Pink Floyd premiere their live version of "The Wall" in Los Angeles
- 1979-11-30 Pink Floyd's "The Wall" released, sells 6 million copies in 2 weeks
- 1980-01-18 Pink Floyd's album "The Wall" hits #1
- 1980-05-02 Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in Wall (Part II)" is banned in South Africa
- 1982-02-13 Pink Floyd's album "Dark Side of the Moon" marks 402 weeks in the album charts
- 1990-07-21 Pink Floyd's "The Wall" is performed where the Berlin Wall once stood