Full Name: György Schwartz
Profession: Investor and Political Activist
Why Famous: One of the world's most successful investors, in February 2018 Soros had a net worth of $8 billion after donating $18 billion to his Open Society Foundation.
After surviving Nazi occupied Hungary as a child and emigrating to the UK and later to the US, Soros set up his first hedge fund in 1969. In 1992 he made a $1 billion profit during the Black Wednesday currency crisis in the UK by short selling $10 billion worth of pound sterling, earning him the name "The Man Who Broke the Bank of England."
A well-known supporter of progressive and liberal causes, Soros' intense funding of political causes has made him a well-known target of right-wing and nationalist supporters. As of 2011 he has donated more than $11 billion to philanthropic causes.
- 2013-09-21 US billionaire investor and active supporter of liberal political causes George Soros (83) weds health care and education consultant Tamiko Bolton (42) at his estate in Bedford, New York
- 1984-05-28 George Soros founds the Soros Foundation Budapest to help countries free themselves from communism
- 1992-09-15 George Soros' Quantum Fund begins selling large amounts of pound sterling, labelled "the man who broke the Bank of England" when pound crashes out of the ERM next day
- 2017-10-17 George Soros announces he has donated $18 billion to his grantmaking network the Open Society Foundations
- 2018-10-22 Pipe bomb sent to George Soros' New York home address, first Democrat to receive series of pipe bombs in US