Profession: King of the United Kingdom
Why Famous: King of the United Kingdom and the British Dominions, and Emperor of India, from 6 May 1910 until his death in 1936. While most other European empires fell after the First World War, the British Empire expanded to its greatest effective extent. He was succeeded by his son, George VI, following his death.
- 1893-07-06 British Prince George Duke of York (later George V) marries Princess Victoria of Teck (Queen Mary) at St James's Palace
- 1910-05-06 George V becomes King of the United Kingdom upon the death of his father, Edward VII.
- 1911-06-22 King George V crowned King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, Canada, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, and all his realms and territories beyond the sea
- 1913-06-04 Suffragette Emily Davison steps in front of King George V's horse Anmer at the Epsom Derby
- 1917-05-11 King George V grants Royal Letters Patent to New Zealand
- 1917-06-04 Most Excellent Order of British Empire inaugurated by King George V to recognise the efforts of his people in WWI
- 1917-07-17 Royal Proclamation by King George V changes name of British Royal family from German Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor
- 1921-06-06 Southwark Bridge in London is opened to traffic by King George V and Queen Mary.
- 1930-05-09 John Masefield is appointed British Poet Laureate by King George V
- 1932-12-25 During King George V's Christmas dinner speech his chair collapes
- 1935-05-06 British King George V & Queen Mary celebrate silver jubilee