Profession: Prime Minister of France
Why Famous: Clemenceau, also known as Le Tigre (The Tiger), was the 54th Prime minister of France (1905-1909 and 1917-1920) and a major contributor to the Allied victory in WWI.
Taking a hard line in the postwar Treaty of Versailles negotiations, Clemenceau won agreement on Germany's payment of large reparations.
- 1906-07-17 Clement Armand Fallieres is elected President of France, but power lies with Georges Clémenceau
- 1906-10-25 Georges Clémenceau succeeds Ferdinand Sarien as Prime Minister of France
- 1918-04-15 Georges Clémenceau publishes secret French/Austrian documents
- 1919-02-20 French Prime Minister Georges Clémenceau injured during assassination attempt
- "Civil servants make the best husbands: when they get home, they are well rested and they have already read the newspaper."