Profession: Politician and Revolutionary
Biography: Danton was a leading figure in the French Revolution, though the exact nature of his involvement and his reasons for doing so are greatly debated among historians.
Danton was elected to the National Convention in September 1792 and rose through its ranks and voted for the execution of Louis XVI. He became the first president of the Committee of Public Safety, set up following the abolishing of the French monarchy in 1793. This led to the so-called Reign of Terror.
Danton was himself arrested, tried before the Revolutionary Tribunal and executed by the guillotine in 1794.
- 1791-07-17 Members of the French National Guard under command of General Lafayette open fire on crowd of radical Jacobins at Champ de Mars, Paris, during the French Revolution, killing up to 50 people
- 1791-09-03 French Revolution: The new French Constitution, declaring France a constitutional monarchy, is passed by the National Assembly
- 1792-04-20 Amidst the French Revolution, France declares war on Austria and Prussia, beginning the French Revolutionary Wars
- 1792-09-02 September Massacres of the French Revolution: In Paris rampaging mobs slaughter 3 Roman Catholic bishops, more than two hundred priests, and prisoners believed to be royalist sympathizers.
- 1792-09-21 French Revolution: The National Convention passes a proclamation announcing the formal abolition of the French monarchy
- 1792-09-22 French First Republic formed by the National Convention, stripping the French king of his powers
- 1793-01-16 French King Louis XVI sentenced to death by the National Convention during the French Revolution
- 1793-08-23 French Revolution: The National Convention adopts the levée en masse, conscripting all able-bodied men between 18 and 25 for military service during the French Revolutionary Wars
- 1793-09-05 French Revolution: the "Reign of Terror" begins
- 1793-10-05 French Revolution: Christianity is disestablished in France.
- 1794-02-04 French National Convention proclaims abolition of slavery