Profession: President and Dictator of Brazil
Why Famous: Served as the President of Brazil, first as dictator, from 1930 to 1945, and then in a democratically elected term from 1951 until 1954. He led Brazil for 18 years, the most of any President, and second in Brazilian history only to Emperor Pedro II among heads of government.
He favored nationalism, industrialization, centralization, social welfare and populism. He was both a proponent of workers' rights and a staunch anti-communist.
- 1930-10-24 A bloodless coup d'état in Brazil ousts Washington Luís Pereira de Sousa, the last President of the First Republic. Getúlio Vargas then installed as "provisional president."
- 1930-11-03 Getúlio Dornelles Vargas became Head of the Provisional Government in Brazil after a bloodless coup on October 24.
- 1933-11-16 Brazilian President Getulio Vargas declares himself dictator
- 1937-11-10 Brazilian dictator Getulio Vargas proclaims "Estado novo"
- 1945-10-29 Getulio Vargas, President of Brazil, resigns
- 1954-08-23 President Getulio Vargas of Brazil resigns temporarily