Profession: Prime Minister of Italy
Why Famous: Giuseppe Conte served as Italy's longest-serving independent Prime Minister from June 2018 to February 2021. He became Prime Minister after a career as a lawyer as the leader of a coalition government between the Five Star Movement and the League. Like former Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, Conte had no previous political experience before becoming Prime Minister.
During his time in office Conte's coalition introduced a number of economic reforms including a minimum wage. They also tightened immigration and were criticized for closing Italian ports to migrants.
Conte also oversaw Italy's early response to the COVID-19 pandemic, during which Italy was one of the worst affected countries in the world.
Conte's government collapsed in early 2021 after he lost the support of a key small coalition partner and he was succeeded by Mario Draghi.
- 2018-05-27 Italian PM-designate Giuseppe Conte gives up attempt to form coalition government after President Sergio Matarella vetoes his choice of economy minister
- 2018-06-01 Law professor Giuseppe Conte is sworn in as Italian Prime Minister as head of a populist coalition
- 2018-08-15 Italian PM Giuseppe Conte declares a 12-month state of emergency in Liguria after the collapse of the Morandi Bridge
- 2019-08-20 Italian PM Giuseppe Conte resigns after Matteo Salvini calls for co-confidence vote
- 2020-03-04 Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announces all sport in Italy will be played behind closed doors for at least a month in an effort to contain COVID-19