Profession: Unifier of Italy
Why Famous: An Italian general, politician and nationalist, Garibaldi was a central figure in the Italian Risorgimento.
He personally commanded and fought in many military campaigns which ultimately led to the formation of a unified Italy. Along with Camillo Cavour, Victor Emmanuel II and Giuseppe Mazzini, these campaigns ensured he is considered one of founding fathers of the Kingdom of Italy.
He has also been called the "Hero of Two Worlds" because of his military campaigns in Brazil, Uruguay and Europe.
Garibaldi is often associated with the red shirts worn by his volunteers in lieu of a uniform.
- 1842-03-26 Italian general Giuseppe Garibaldi (34) weds Ana Maria de Jesus Ribeiro (20) in Montevideo
- 1849-07-02 Giuseppe Garibaldi begins hunger strike in Rome
- 1860-05-06 Giuseppe Garibaldi's Mille sets sail from Genoa to the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
- 1860-05-26 Giuseppe Garibaldi occupies Palermo, Italy
- 1861-03-17 Italy is unified into a single kingdom under Victor Emmanuel II following the campaigns led by Giuseppe Garibaldi
- 1867-10-27 Giuseppe Garibaldi marches on Rome for the second time
- 1867-11-03 Battle at Mentana: French & Papal troops beat Giuseppe Garibaldi