Why Famous: Glenn Close began her acting career on stage in the 1970s and has gone on to win 3 Tony awards, the first for "The Real Thing (1983).
Close made her film debut in 1982 and soon became a Hollywood star. She was nominated for Academy Awards for "The Big Chill" (1983) and Robert Redford's "The Natural" (1984). Her most famous early role was in the thriller "Fatal Attraction" (1987) opposite Michael Douglas for which she was nominated for the Oscar for Best Actress.
Other successful roles in film include "Dangerous Liaisons" (1988) with John Malkovich and as Cruella de Vil in the Disney film "101 Dalmatians" (1996) and its sequel. More recently Close received acclaim for her role in "The Wife" (2018) for which she won a Golden Globe and a Critics Choice award.
On TV Close starred in the TV cable series "Damages" for fives seasons, winning two Emmy awards.
- 2006-02-03 Academy Award-winning actress Glenn Close (58) weds David Evans Shaw in Maine
- 1983-09-17 8th Toronto International Film Festival: "The Big Chill" directed by Lawrence Kasdan wins the People's Choice Award
- 1987-09-18 Film thriller "Fatal Attraction" directed by Adrian Lyne, starring Michael Douglas and Glenn Close is released
- 1988-03-13 14th People's Choice Awards: Michael Douglas & Glenn Close win (Motion Picture) and Bill Cosby & Cybill Shepherd win (TV)
- 2008-09-21 60th Emmy Awards: Mad Men, 30 Rock, Bryan Cranston & Glenn Close win
- 2009-09-20 61st Emmy Awards: Mad Men, 30 Rock, Bryan Cranston & Glenn Close win
- 2019-01-06 76th Golden Globes: "The Americans", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Green Book", Glenn Close and Rami Malek among the winners