Why Famous: Gloria Estefan rose to fame with her band The Miami Sound Machine, drawing on her Cuban roots to become one of the biggest Latino musical acts in the world by the 1980s.
The Miami Sound Machine was initially set up by Emilio Estefan, who Gloria later married after joining the band. After four years the band broke through with hits such as "Dr Beat" and "Congo" in 1985. Estefan released her first solo album backed by the Miami Sound Machine in 1989. In 1990 her career was derailed by a serious bus accident that almost claimed her life. She later released a comeback album in 1991 "Into the Light".
Since then Esteban had continued to record and release music on a regular basis, including Spanish language albums to large acclaim Esteban had won numerous awards for her music, including three Grammy awards and American Music Awards Lifetime Achievement Award.
Estefan has also appeared in two movies and in a variety of guest appearances on TV. In 2015 a musical called "On your Feet" about the life of Gloria and Emilio Estefan was produced on Broadway.
- 1978-09-02 Singer Gloria Estefan (21) weds musician and producer Emilio Estefan (25) (Miami Sound Machine)
- 1989-07-28 Gloria Estefan releases her debut solo album "Cuts Both Ways"
- 1990-03-20 Singer Gloria Estefan fractures her spine when a truck hits her tour bus near Scranton, Pennsylvania
- 1990-04-04 Gloria Estefan released from hospital after her accident
- 1994-03-02 Miami begins a Latin walk of fame, 1st star for Gloria Estefan
- 1995-09-24 Emillio & Gloria Estefan's boat hits & kills a jet skier