Profession: 14th President Of The Philippines
Why Famous: Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo is the Philippines 2nd female President (2001-2010) and the daughter of former President Diosdado Macapagal (1961-1965).
Educated in the US, she was the first elected female Vice President in 1998 but assumed the presidency after the controversial step down of President Joseph Estrada forced by the 2001 People Power Revolution.
Her administration was marked by greater economic prosperity for the country though marred by attempted military coups including the “Oakwood Mutiny” and allegations of corruption.
After her presidential term ended she was elected in 2010 as a member of the House of Representatives for the 2nd District of Pampanga.
Since 2011 Macapagal-Arroyo has been receiving treatment for cervical spondylosis amid furhter corruption charges.
- 1968-08-02 Later President of the Philippines, Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo (21) weds lawyer Jose Miguel Arroyo (22)
- 2000-05-01 President of the Philippines Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declares existence of "a state of rebellion", after thousands of supporters of her arrested predecessor, Joseph Estrada, storm towards the presidential palace at height of EDSA III rebellion
- 2001-01-20 President of the Philippines Joseph Estrada is ousted in the EDSA II Revolution and succeeded by Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
- 2003-07-27 A group of 321 Filipino armed soldiers called "Magdalo" take over Oakwood Premier Ayala Center in Makati City to show Filipino people the alleged corruption of the Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo administration
- 2006-02-24 President of the Philippines Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo declares Proclamation 1017 placing the country in a state of emergency in attempt to subdue possible military coup.
- 2011-11-18 Former Filipino President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo is arrested and held at Veterans Memorial Medical Center in Quezon City under charges of electoral sabotage