Full Name: Goldie Mabovitch [later Myerson]
Profession: 4th Prime Minister of Israel
Biography: Meir was both Israel's first and only female Prime Minister (1969-74), having been elected after serving as Minister of Labour (1949-56) and Foreign Minister (1956-66).
Described as the "Iron Lady" of Israeli politics, Meir was an active Zionist who was one of the signers of Israel's declaration of independence in 1948.
- 1948-05-14 Golda Meir (Meyerson) is one of the signatories of Israel’s independence declaration
- 1948-10-16 Demonstration by Moscow Jews honoring Israeli ambassador Golda Meir
- 1956-06-17 Golda Meir begins her term as Israel's foreign minister
- 1969-03-17 Golda Meir becomes Israel's 4th Prime Minister, the first and only female to hold the office
- 1973-01-15 Pope Paul VI holds an audience with Golda Meir at the Vatican
- 1974-04-10 Golda Meir resigns as Israel's Prime Minister
- 1974-06-03 Yitzhak Rabin replaces resigning Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir, and forms a new government