Full Name: Sir Cuthbert Gordon Greenidge
Biography: Greenidge is regarded as one of the greatest opening batsman in cricket history.
He was eligible to play for England after moving from his native Barbados to the UK at 14 but opted to play for the West Indies.
Greenidge scored 93 and 107 on his Test debut in 1974 and thereafter played in 108 Tests scoring 7,558 runs at 44.72 with 19 centuries. He also played in 128 ODIs scoring 5,134 at 45.03 with 11 centuries.
Greenidge earned 20 ‘Man of the Match’ awards in ODIs and a further 6 in Test matches. He was inducted into the ICC Cricket Hall of Fame in 2009.
- 1974-11-22 Test Cricket debut of Gordon Greenidge and Viv Richards, at Bangalore
- 1984-07-03 West Indies cricket opener Gordon Greenidge scores brilliant 214 off 242 balls in 9-wicket Lord's Test win v England
- 1984-07-27 West Indies cricket opening batsman Gordon Greenidge smashes 223 in innings & 64 run win over England in 4th Test at Manchester; Windies lead series, 4-0
- 1991-04-23 Outstanding West Indian cricket opening batsman Gordon Greenidge scores 226 in his final Test innings at home in Bridgetown, Barbados; WI win 4th Test v Australia by 343 runs
- 1991-05-01 West Indian batsman Gordon Greenidge plays his last Test cricket innings, scoring 43 vs Australia in Antigua; 7,558 runs @ 44.72; 19 x 100s
- Gordon Greenidge - ESPNcricinfo