Why Famous: The American diver is generally considered the greatest diver in history. Louganis is the first male diver to win Olympic gold medals for the 3m springboard and the 10m platform at consecutive games at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics and at the 1988 Olympics in Soul. He regained his 3m springboard in 1988 despite hitting his head in an earlier dive.
After his retirement Louganis has become a LGBT and AIDS activist, revealing in 1994 that he was himself gay and then a year later that he was HIV+.
- 2013-10-12 Olympic diving champion Greg Louganis (53) weds paralegal Johnny Chaillot in Malibu, California
- 1982-08-01 American Greg Louganis becomes 1st diver to score 700 (752.67) in 11 dives in winning 3m springboard gold, World Championships in Guayaquil, Ecuador
- 1988-09-19 American diver Greg Louganis smashes his head on diving board during the 3m springboard preliminaries at the Seoul Olympics; recovers to qualify for the final which he wins the following day
- 1988-09-20 American diver Greg Louganis wins the 3m springboard gold medal at the Seoul Olympics after famously hitting his head on the board the previous day
- 1988-09-27 American diver Greg Louganis wins the 10m platform gold medal at the Seoul Olympics; wraps up diving double after also taking out the 3m springboard gold