Profession: Climate Activist
Why Famous: Thunberg became heavily involved in climate change activism at age 15, when she gained fame by making speeches outside the Swedish parliament. In 2018 she initiated the school strike for climate movement that spread around the world. An estimated 1.4 million students around the world joined her call.
Thunberg has made various speeches at events around the world, at TED Talks in Stockholm, the COP24 UN summit and to leaders and summits around the world. She has been the recipient of various awards and has been named as one of the 100 most influential people of 2019.
- 2019-03-15 Climate change strikes held by school children take place around the world inspired by Swedish teenager Greta Thunberg
- 2019-04-21 Teenage climate activist Greta Thunberg speaks at a Extinction Rebellion protest in London amid city-wide climate protests where Waterloo Bridge was occupied over four days
- 2019-08-28 Climate change activist Greta Thunberg arrives in New York after sailing across the Atlantic in an emissions-free voyage
- 2019-09-17 Swedish climate activist Greta Thunberg tells US Congress "I know you are trying but just not hard enough. Sorry.”
- 2019-09-20 Students from 185 countries stage the world's largest-ever protest on climate change culminating in Manhattan rally led by Greta Thunberg
- 2019-09-23 Climate activist Greta Thunberg scolds world leaders "How Dare You" for not addressing climate change at the UN Climate Action Summit in New York
- 2019-12-11 Climate activist Greta Thunberg is named Time magazine's Person of the Year