Profession: Country Music Singer and Songwriter
Why Famous: Williams was one of America's first major country music stars and was instrumental in the genre's rise in popularity.
Williams recorded 35 singles (five released posthumously) that ranked in the Top 10 of the Country & Western Best Sellers chart, including 11 number ones.
His hits include "Lovesick Blues," "Why Don't You Love Me," "Cold, Cold Heart," "Hey, Good Lookin'," "I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive," and "Your Cheatin' Heart".
Williams became one of the earliest inductees into the "Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" in 1987. His songs have been covered by numerous pop, gospel, and blues artists.
- 1944-12-15 Country music star Hank Williams (21) weds Audrey Sheppard. It was her second marriage and his first.
- 1952-05-29 Country music legend Hank Williams and Audrey Sheppard granted divorce for the second and final time after seven years of marriage. Their first divorce was in 1948.
- 1952-10-17 Country music legend Hank Williams (29) weds Billie Jean Jones in Minden, Louisiana
- 1946-12-11 Hank Williams begins to record on Sterling label
- 1949-02-11 "Lovesick Blues" single released by Hank Williams (Cashbox "Best Hillbilly Record of the Year", Billboard Song of the Year 1949)
- 1952-09-23 "Kaw-Liga" single recorded by Hank Williams