Why Famous: Harry Styles gained international fame as one member of the Irish-British boy band One Direction. The band was formed during the British talent show "The X Factor", with five members, Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne and Louis Tomlinson, including Styles.
One Direction were later signed by Simon Cowell. They released their debut single in September 2011 "What Makes You Beautiful", followed by their debut album "Up All Night" a couple of months later. "Up All Night" sold 4.5 million copies and debuted at No. 1 on the US Billboard 200.
A 2nd album "Take Me Home" appeared in 2012. More albums followed in 2013, 2014 and 2015.
Styles signed a solo record deal with Colombia Records in 2016 and released his first singer as a solo artist "Sign of the Times" in April 2017.
- 2010-07-23 One Direction is formed during the X Factor show as Niall Horan, Harry Styles, Liam Payne, Zayn Malik and Louis Tomlinson join together
- 2011-11-18 "The X Factor" group One Direction release their debut album "Up All Night" in Ireland and the UK
- 2013-08-20 "One Direction: This Is Us" 3D concert film of One Direction directed by Morgan Spurlock premieres in London
- 2014-11-23 41st American Music Awards: One Direction, Sam Smith and Katy Perry win
- 2015-03-25 British musician Zayn Malik announces he is leaving the band One Direction
- 2017-05-12 Former One Direction singer Harry Styles releases his self-titled debut solo album
- 2020-11-13 Singer Harry Styles becomes the first-ever solo male cover star for US Vogue