Profession: 33rd US President
Political Party: Democratic
Political Titles: Vice President, Senator from Missouri
Why Famous: Truman served only four months as Vice President of the United States before Franklin D. Roosevelt died in office, unexpectedly making him the 33rd President.
Taking over just before the end of World War II, Truman made the momentous decision to drop the atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, ushering in the Atomic Age and shortly afterward the Cold War.
On the domestic front Truman presided over a surge in prosperity following the war and the Great Depression. In Europe he approved the Marshall Plan to rebuild Western European countries and announced the Truman Doctrine to combat the spread of communism.
His surprise victory in the 1948 presidential election coincided with the early beginnings of the Cold War; that year the Berlin Airlift resolved the first major crisis between the US and the Soviet Union. In 1950 Truman responded militarily to the outbreak of the Korean War, but the conflict stalemated for three years and helped contribute to the defeat of the Democrats against Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1952.
- 1919-06-28 33rd US President Harry Truman (35) weds Elizabeth Truman (34) in Independence
- 1945-04-12 US President Franklin D. Roosevelt dies in office and Vice President Harry Truman is sworn in as 33rd US President
- 1945-08-02 Potsdam Conference between Joseph Stalin, Harry Truman and Winston Churchill ends
- 1945-08-08 President Harry Truman signs the United Nations Charter
- 1945-10-08 US President Harry Truman announced atomic bomb secret shared with Britain and Canada
- 1946-08-01 US President Harry Truman establishes Atomic Energy Commission (AEC)
- 1946-11-09 US President Harry Truman ends wage/price freeze
- 1946-12-05 US President Harry Truman creates Committee on Civil Rights by Exec Order #9808
- 1946-12-31 US President Harry Truman officially proclaims end of WW II
- 1947-03-12 US President Harry Truman introduces Truman-doctrine to fight communism
- 1947-03-21 US President Harry Truman signs Executive Order 9835 requiring all federal employees to have allegiance to the United States
- 1947-06-23 US President Truman's veto of Taft-Hartley Act overridden by Congress
- 1947-07-26 President Truman signs National Security Act (1947), establishing Department of Defense, CIA, National Security Council and Joint Chiefs of Staff
- 1947-07-26 US President Harry S. Truman signs the National Security Act which establishes the Central Intelligence Agency
- 1947-09-18 The Central Intelligence Agency officially comes into existence after being established by President Truman in July
- 1947-10-05 Harry Truman makes the 1st Presidential address televised from the White House
- 1948-01-07 US President Harry Truman raises taxes for the Marshall Plan
- 1948-04-03 US President Harry Truman signs Marshall Plan ($5B aid to 16 European countries)
- 1948-06-25 Harry Truman signs Displaced Persons Bill (205,000 Europeans to US)
- 1948-11-02 US President Harry Truman is re-elected in an upset victory over Republican candidate Thomas E. Dewey
- 1949-01-05 US President Harry Truman labels his administration the "Fair Deal"
- 1949-01-20 US President Harry Truman announces his four point program
- 1949-05-14 US President Harry Truman signs bill establishing a rocket test range at Cape Canaveral
- 1949-09-23 US President Harry Truman announces evidence of USSR's 1st nuclear device detonation
- 1949-10-06 US President Harry Truman signs Mutual Defense Assistance Act (for NATO)
- 1949-10-26 US President Harry Truman increases minimum wage from 40 cents to 75 cents
- 1950-01-31 US President Harry Truman publicly announces support for the development of a hydrogen bomb
- 1950-06-27 North Korean troops reach Seoul, UN asks members to aid South Korea, Harry Truman orders US Air Force & Navy into Korean conflict
- 1950-08-13 US President Harry Truman gives military aid to Vietnamese regime of Bao-Dai
- 1950-11-01 Puerto Rican nationalists try to kill US President Harry Truman at Blair House
- 1950-12-16 US President Harry Truman proclaims state of emergency against "Communist imperialism"
- 1951-03-26 United States Air Force flag officially adopted by President Harry S. Truman
- 1951-04-11 US President Harry Truman relieves General Douglas McArthur of command in Korea
- 1951-07-09 US President Harry Truman asks Congress to formally end state of war with Germany
- 1951-09-04 US President Harry Truman addresses opening of Japanese Peace Treaty Conference
- 1953-01-07 US President Harry Truman announces American development of the hydrogen bomb
- 1957-07-06 Harry S. Truman Library forms in Independence, Missouri