Full Name: Henry William Vardon
Why Famous: Vardon is one of the most influential figures in the early years of professional golf.
He won The British Open Championship a record 6 times in 1896, 1898, 1899, 1903, 1911 and 1914 and also claimed US Open in 1900.
Vardon's rivalry with James Braid and J.H. Taylor (both 5-time Open champions) was labelled the 'Great Triumvirate'. This created a huge increase in interest in golf as the trio dominated the sport from the 1890's to the mid-1910's.
In all, Vardon won 48 tournaments and 21 team events and was included in the initial group of inductees into the World Golf Hall of Fame in 1974.
- 1896-06-13 British Open Men's Golf, Muirfield: Harry Vardon of Jersey wins first of 6 Open titles by 4 strokes in a 36-hole playoff with defending champion J.H. Taylor
- 1898-06-09 British Open Men's Golf, Prestwick GC: Harry Vardon of Jersey wins 2nd title by 1 stroke from dual champion Willie Park Jr
- 1899-06-08 British Open Men's Golf, Royal St George's GC: Harry Vardon of Jersey retains Open; wins 3rd title by 5 strokes from Jack White
- 1900-06-07 British Open Men's Golf, St Andrews: Englishman J.H. Taylor wins title for 3rd time; beats runner-up Harry Vardon by 8 strokes
- 1900-10-05 US Open Men's Golf, Chicago GC: Harry Vardon of Jersey wins his only US title; beats Englishman J.H. Taylor by 2 strokes
- 1901-06-06 British Open Men's Golf, Muirfield: Scotsman James Braid wins first of 5 Open titles by 3 strokes from Harry Vardon of Jersey
- 1902-06-05 British Open Men's Golf, Royal Liverpool GC: Scotsman Sandy Herd wins by 1 stroke from James Braid and Harry Vardon
- 1903-06-11 British Open Men's Golf, Prestwick GC: Harry Vardon wins his 4th Open title by 6 strokes from younger brother Tom Vardon
- 1911-06-30 British Open Men's Golf, Royal St George's Golf Club: Harry Vardon wins his 5th Championship by 10 shots in a playoff with 1907 champion Arnaud Massy of France
- 1912-06-25 British Open Men's Golf, Muirfield: Ted Ray wins wire-to-wire by 4 shots from defending champion Harry Vardon
- 1913-09-20 US Open Men's Golf, The Country Club: 20-year old amateur Francis Ouimet wins his only Open title in an 18-hole playoff, 5 strokes ahead of Britons Harry Vardon & Ted Ray
- 1914-06-19 British Open Men's Golf, Prestwick GC: Harry Vardon of Jersey wins a record 6th Open Championship, 3 strokes ahead of defending champion J.H. Taylor
- 1920-08-13 US Open Men's Golf, Inverness GC: Isle of Jersey native Ted Ray pars the 18th, giving him a 1-stroke win over runners-up Harry Vardon, Jock Hutchison, Leo Diegel & Jack Burke Sr
- Harry Vardon - Golf Legends