Biography: Henrik Ibsen was a Norwegian playwright and director, known by some as the 'father of realism." His major works are numerous, and Ibsen was one of the most influential playwrights of his time: Brand (1865), Peer Gynt (1867), Emperor and Galilean (1873), The Wild Duck (1884), Rosmersholm (1886), and many more.
Ibsen is perhaps best known for his early play Peer Gynt, but the surrealistic verse of this work were put aside in his later plays for a more realistic prose. His later works can be read as social commentaries, peering past the facades of social propriety to see the disquieting truths which hid behind.
- 1858-06-18 Norwegian modernist playwright "The Doll's House" Henrik Ibsen (30) marries Suzannah Thoresen (21) in Oslo
- 1869-10-18 Henrik Ibsen's "De Unges Forbund" (The League of Youth) premieres in Christiania (Oslo), Norway
- 1876-02-24 Henrik Ibsen'-s play "Peer Gynt" premieres in Oslo
- 1878-11-06 Henrik Ibsen's play "Samfundets Stotter" (pillars of Society) premieres in Oslo
- 1879-01-21 Henrik Ibsen's play "Et Dukkehjem" (A Doll's House) premieres in Copenhagen
- 1882-05-20 Henrik Ibsen's play "Ghosts" (Gengangere) premieres in Chicago
- 1883-01-13 Henrik Ibsen's play "En Folkefiende" (An Enemy of the People) premieres in Oslo
- 1885-01-11 Henrik Ibsen's play "Vildauden," (The Wild Duck) premieres in Oslo
- 1887-04-12 Henrik Ibsen's "Rosmersholm" premieres in Oslo
- 1889-02-12 Henrik Ibsen's play "Fruen fra havet" (The Lady from the Sea) premieres in Oslo
- 1891-02-26 Henrik Ibsen's play "Hedda Gabler" premieres in Oslo, Norway
- 1893-01-19 Henrik Ibsen's play "The Master Builder" premieres in Berlin
- 1896-12-05 Henrik Ibsen's play "Kejsor og Galileer" (Emperor and Galilean) premieres in Leipzig
- 1897-01-10 Henrik Ibsen's play "John Gabriel Borkman" premieres in Helsingfors
- 1900-01-26 Henrik Ibsen's play "Naar vi Dode Vaaguer" (When We Dead Awaken) premieres in Stuttgart
- 1994-07-10 Revival of Henrik Ibsen's stage drama "Hedda Gabler", starring Kelly McGillis, opens at Criterion Theater, NYC; runs for 33 performances
- 1994-08-07 Revival of Henrik Ibsen's stage drama "Hedda Gabler", starring Kelly McGillis, closes at Criterion Theater, NYC, after 33 performances
- "Castles in the air — they are so easy to take refuge in. And so easy to build, too."