Profession: Legislator and Orator
Why Famous: Served three different terms as Speaker of the House of Representatives and was also Secretary of State from 1825 to 1829.
His major achievement was to forge a series of compromises that held off the civil war for decades.
Clay was also a three-time Presidential nominee, losing the election in 1824, 1832 and 1844.
- 1799-04-11 Politician Henry Clay (21) weds Lucretia Hart in Lexington, Kentucky
- 1832-12-05 Andrew Jackson re-elected US President after defeating Henry Clay
- 1839-02-07 Henry Clay declares in Senate "I had rather be right than president"
- 1844-05-01 Whig convention nominates Henry Clay as presidential candidate
- 1850-01-29 Henry Clay introduces a comprise bill on slavery to US Senate