Profession: King of France
Biography: Monarch of the House of Valois who ruled as King of France from March 31, 1547 until his death in 1559.
He persevered in the Italian Wars against the House of Habsburg and tried to suppress the Protestant Reformation even as the Huguenots became an increasingly large minority in France during his reign.
Born: March 31, 1519
Birthplace: Château de Saint-Germain-en-Laye near Paris, France
Star Sign: Aries
Died: July 10, 1559 (aged 40)
Cause of Death: Fatal jousting wound
- 1533-10-28 Prince Henry of France (later Henry II) (14) marries Florentine noblewoman Catherine de' Medici (14) in Marseille
- 1547-03-31 Henry II succeeds Francis I as King of France
- 1547-07-25 Henry II of France is crowned
- 1556-02-05 King Henry II of France and Holy Roman Emperor Charles V sign the Treaty of Vaucelles, creating a temporary truce in the Italian War of 1551–59
- 1558-11-07 French King Henry II occupies Calais
- 1559-06-30 King Henry II of France is seriously injured in a jousting match against Gabriel de Montgomery