Profession: King of France
Why Famous: Monarch of the House of Valois who ruled as King of France from March 31, 1547 until his death in 1559.
He persevered in the Italian Wars against the House of Habsburg and tried to suppress the Protestant Reformation even as the Huguenots became an increasingly large minority in France during his reign.
- 1533-10-28 Prince Henry of France (later Henry II) (14) marries Florentine noblewoman Catherine de' Medici (14) in Marseille
- 1547-03-31 Henry II succeeds Francois I as King of France
- 1547-07-25 Henry II of France is crowned
- 1558-11-07 French King Henry II occupies Calais
- 1559-06-30 King Henry II of France is seriously injured in a jousting match against Gabriel de Montgomery