Profession: Holy Roman Emperor
Why Famous: From 1084 until his forced abdication in 1105, he was referred to as the King of the Romans and Holy Roman Emperor. He was the third emperor of the Salian dynasty and one of the most powerful and important figures of the 11th century.
His reign was marked by the Investiture Controversy with the Papacy and several civil wars over his throne both in Italy and Germany.
- 1054-07-17 Emperor Henry III crowns his son Henry IV king
- 1064-04-30 German King Henry IV gives away Utrecht county of West Friesland
- 1075-06-09 Battle at Homburg/Unstrut: German King Henry IV beats Saksen
- 1076-01-24 Synod of Worms: German King Henry IV fires Pope Gregory VII
- 1076-02-14 Pope Gregory VII excommunicates Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV (for the 1st time)
- 1077-01-28 German King Henry IV is absolved by Holy Roman Emperor Pope Gregory VII after his penitent Walk to Canossa.
- 1077-01-30 Pope Gregory VII pardons German emperor Henry IV
- 1077-10-30 Holy Roman Emperor Henry IV gives the district of Stavoren to the bishop of Utrecht (Conrad, his former tutor)
- 1083-06-03 Henry IV of Germany storms Rome, capturing St Peter's Cathedral
- 1087-05-30 German emperor Henry IV crowns his son Koenraad