Full Name: Idi Amin Dada
Profession: Ugandan Dictator
Why Famous: President of Uganda from 1971 until 1979. Gained international notoriety for a rule characterized by mass repression, corruption, nepotism and economic mismanagement.
After launching a war against Tanzania in 1979, Amin was overthrown and lived in exile in Saudi Arabia until his death in 2003.
- 1971-01-25 Military coup in Uganda under Major General Idi Amin
- 1971-02-02 Idi Amin ousts Milton Obote and appoints himself President (dictator) of Uganda
- 1972-08-04 Uganda dictator Idi Amin orders the expulsion of 50,000 Asians with British passport from Uganda
- 1979-04-11 Tanzanian army captures Kampala, the capital of Uganda forcing Ugandan dictator Idi Amin to flee into exile in Libya
- 1989-01-12 Ex-dictator of Uganda Idi Amin expelled from Zaire