Profession: 4th Prime Minister of India
Why Famous: Gandhi was a central figure of the Indian National Congress party and became the 4th Prime Minister of India.
She served as Prime Minister from 1966 to 1977 and then again from 1980 until her assassination in 1984.
This makes her the second-longest-serving Prime Minister of India and the only woman to hold the office.
- 1942-03-26 Prime Minister of India Indira Gandhi (25) weds politician and journalist Feroze Gandhi (29) at Anand Bhavan
- 1966-01-19 Indira Gandhi elected India's 4th Prime Minister
- 1975-06-26 Indian PM Indira Gandhi declares a state of emergency
- 1977-03-20 Premier Indira Gandhi loses election in India
- 1977-03-22 Indira Gandhi resigns as Prime Minister of India
- 1977-10-03 Indira Gandhi arrested
- 1978-12-19 Indira Gandhi ambushed in India
- 1978-12-26 India's former Prime Minister, Indira Gandhi is released from jail
- 1980-01-06 Indira Gandhi's Congress Party wins elections in India
- 1982-07-27 Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi's first visit to the US in almost 11 years
- 1984-06-05 Indira Gandhi orders an attack on Sikh's holiest site, the Golden Temple in Amritsar
- 1984-10-31 Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi is assassinated by her bodyguards, Satwant Singh and Beant Singh at her home in New Delhi
- 1984-11-03 Body of assassinated Indian Prime Minister Indira Gandhi cremated