Full Name: John Edgar Hoover
Profession: First Director of the FBI
Biography: Built the Federal Bureau of Investigation into a large crime-fighting organisation; but controversy surrounds the power he acquired in doing so, including intimations of secretive actions, blackmail and intimidation - even of US presidents.
- 1917-07-26 J. Edgar Hoover gets job in US Department of Justice
- 1918-12-30 John E Hoover decides to be called J. Edgar Hoover
- 1919-12-21 J. Edgar Hoover deports anarchists/feminist Emma Goldman to Russia
- 1921-08-22 J. Edgar Hoover becomes Assistant Director of the FBI
- 1924-05-10 J. Edgar Hoover appointed head of FBI
- 1924-06-15 J. Edgar Hoover assumes leadership of the FBI
- 1936-05-01 FBI's J. Edgar Hoover arrests gangster Alvin "Creepy" Karpis
- 1949-01-20 J. Edgar Hoover gives Shirley Temple a tear gas fountain pen
- 1951-03-10 FBI director J. Edgar Hoover declines post of baseball commissioner
- 1953-01-11 J. Edgar Hoover declines 6 figure offer to become president of International Boxing Club
- 1963-10-31 J. Edgar Hoover's last meeting with President John F. Kennedy
- 1964-11-18 J. Edgar Hoover describes Martin Luther King Jr. as a "most notorious liar"
- 1964-12-01 Martin Luther King Jr. speaks to J. Edgar Hoover about his slander campaign
- 1971-08-22 J. Edgar Hoover and John Mitchell announce the arrest of 20 of the "Camden 28".