Profession: French Explorer
Biography: Explored and claimed what is now Canada for France.
Cartier was the first European to describe and map the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and the shores of the Saint Lawrence River.
These he named "The Country of Canadas", after the Iroquois names for the two big settlements he saw at Stadacona (Quebec City) and at Hochelaga (Montreal Island).
- 1534-05-10 French navigator Jacques Cartier reaches Newfoundland
- 1534-06-09 Jacques Cartier 1st sails into mouth of St Lawrence River
- 1534-06-29 Jacques Cartier discovers Prince Edward Islands, Canada
- 1534-07-24 Jacques Cartier lands in Canada, claims it for France
- 1535-09-01 French navigator Jacques Cartier reaches Hochelaga (Montreal)
- 1535-10-02 Jacques Cartier discovers Mount Royal (Montreal)
- 1536-07-09 French navigator Jacques Cartier returns to Saint-Malo from Canada
- 1541-08-23 French explorer Jacques Cartier lands near Quebec City in his third voyage to Canada