Profession: Film Director
Why Famous: James Cameron is responsible for some of the most popular and technically advanced films ever made including "Terminator 2", "Titanic" (1997) and "Avatar" (2009).
The Canadian's first success was "The Terminator" (1984), starring Arnold Schwarzenegger which he both wrote and directed. The film spawned a franchise, most notably "Terminator 2: Judgement Day" (1991), which was the highest-grossing film that year.
"Titanic" (1997) starring Leo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet was both the most expensive film and the world's highest-grossing, overtaken only by another of Cameron's film's "Avatar". Titanic won 11 Oscars, including Best Director for Cameron.
"Avatar" is the first film to gross over 2 billion, earning 2.74 billion worldwide. The film is famous for its special effects particularly its computer-generated animation.
Cameron is an expert in deep-sea exploration and has filmed a number of documentaries on the subject. In 2012 Cameron became only the 3rd person to reach the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
- 1989-08-17 Director Kathryn Bigelow (38) weds fellow director James Cameron (35)
- 1997-07-26 Director James Cameron (42) weds actress Linda Hamilton (40) in Malibu, California
- 1999-12-16 Actress Linda Hamilton (43) divorces director James Cameron (45) due to irreconcilable differences after 2 years of marriage
- 2000-06-04 "Titanic" producer-director James Cameron (45) weds actress Suzy Amis (38) in Malibu, California
- 1984-10-26 "The Terminator" directed by James Cameron and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Linda Hamilton is released in the US
- 1991-07-01 "Terminator 2: Judgement Day" directed by James Cameron and starring Arnold Schwarzenegger, Linda Hamilton and Edward Furlong premieres at Century City, California
- 1997-11-01 "Titanic" directed by James Cameron, starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet premieres at the Tokyo International Film Festival (Academy Awards Best Picture 1998)
- 2009-12-18 James Cameron's "Avatar" film starring Sam Worthington and Zoe Saldana and Sigourney Weaver, is released
- 2012-03-26 Canadian filmmaker James Cameron becomes the first person to visit Challenger Deep, the deepest point on Earth in over 50 years
- "There are many talented people who haven't fulfilled their dream because they over thought it, or they were too cautions and were unwilling to make the leap of faith."