Full Name: James Stuart
Profession: King of Great Britain
Biography: He succeeded his mother Mary as King James VI of Scotland and later succeeded Elizabeth Tudor, who had his mother executed, as King James I of England.
He maintained the Protestant reformation, and authorised a translation of the Bible into contemporary English which is in use to this day.
- 1567-07-24 Mary Queen of Scots is forced to abdicate; her 1-year-old son becomes King James VI of Scots
- 1567-07-29 James VI is crowned King of Scots at Stirling
- 1581-01-28 James VI signs 2nd Confession of Faith in Scotland
- 1582-08-22 King James VI of Scotland captured
- 1591-01-27 Scottish schoolmaster Dr. John Fian burned for witchcraft at Castle Hill, Edinburgh by order King James VI. Part of the Berwick witch trials.
- 1594-01-29 Mathematician John Napier dedicates his "Plaine Discovery of the Whole Revelation of St. John" to King James VI, predicts end of the world in 1688 or 1700
- 1603-03-24 Scottish King James VI son of Mary Queen of Scots, becomes King James I of England in succession to Elizabeth I, thus joining the English and Scottish crowns
- 1603-04-05 New English King James I (James VI of Scotland) departs Edinburgh for London
- 1603-07-17 English explorer Walter Raleigh is arrested by forces of King James I of England
- 1605-11-05 Gunpowder Plot: Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes attempts to blow up King James I and the British Parliament. Plot discovered, Guy Fawkes caught, tortured and later executed along with seven others. Celebrated ever since as Guy Fawkes Day, where his effigy is traditionally burned on a bonfire, accompanied by fireworks.
- 1606-08-07 Possible first performance of Shakespeare's tragedy Macbeth, performed in the Great Hall at Hampton Court Palace for King James I
- 1606-12-26 First known performance of William Shakespeare's tragedy "King Lear" before the court of King James I at Whitehall, London
- 1610-03-21 King James I of England and VI of Scotland addresses English House of Commons
- 1612-10-28 Robert Dowland appointed court luitist of King James I
- 1614-04-05 2nd parliament of King James I begin session (no enactments)
- 1614-06-07 2nd parliament of King James I, dissolves passing no legislation
- 1616-04-30 King James I of England leaves Brielle
- 1617-01-06 English court favorite George Villiers is made Earl of Buckingham by King James I
- 1618-10-29 English adventurer, writer and courtier Walter Raleigh is beheaded for allegedly conspiring against King James I of England
- 1621-09-21 King James I of England gives Sir William Alexander a royal charter for colonisation of Nova Scotia
- 1621-12-30 English king James I cracks Protestation of Parliament
- 1622-02-08 King James I disbands the English parliament
- 1624-09-12 1st submarine publicly tested in London on the Thames for King James I