Why Famous: Considered to be one of the most influential writers in the modernist avant-garde of the early 20th century. Joyce is best known for "Ulysses", a landmark work in which the episodes of Homer's Odyssey are paralleled in an array of contrasting literary styles, perhaps most prominent among these the stream of consciousness technique he perfected.
His complete oeuvre includes three books of poetry, a play, occasional journalism, and his published letters.
- 1931-07-04 Irish writer (Ulysses) James Joyce and Nora Barnacle finally marry in London registry office after meeting in 1904.
- 1904-06-16 Bloomsday (date of events in James Joyce's Ulysses)
- 1922-02-02 James Joyce's "Ulysses" published in Paris (1,000 copies)
- 1933-12-06 Ban on James Joyce's "Ulysses" in US lifted
- 1934-08-07 US Court of Appeals upheld lower court ruling striking down government's attempt to ban controversial James Joyce novel "Ulysses"
- "The actions of men are the best interpreters of their thoughts."