Profession: Civil Rights Activist
Why Famous: First African-American student and graduate of the previously segregated University of Mississippi.
- 1961-09-20 African-American student James Meredith is refused enrolment to the segregated University of Mississippi
- 1962-09-20 Mississippi Governor Ross Barnett refuses to admit an African-American, James Meredith, to Mississippi University
- 1962-09-30 James Meredith registers for classes at University of Mississippi
- 1962-10-01 James Meredith becomes the 1st black student at the University of Mississippi
- 1963-08-18 James Meredith becomes the 1st black graduate from University of Mississippi
- 1966-06-06 Civil rights activist James Meredith wounded by white sniper in Mississippi