Profession: 5th US President
Political Party: Democratic-Republican
Political Titles: United States Secretary of State, United States Secretary of War, Governor of Virginia
Why Famous: Prior to becoming President, Monroe served in several high positions, including Secretary of War and Secretary of State. The last president who was a Founding Father of the United States, and the last president from the Virginia dynasty and the Republican Generation.
As president, he bought Florida from Spain and sought to ease partisan tensions, embarking on a tour of the country that was well received. Monroe's tenure saw the expansion of the country, with the United States expanding its sphere of control into the Pacific. The Era of Good Feelings occurred during Monroe's presidency, until the Panic of 1819 and the dispute over Missouri's admission to the country.
In his second term, Monroe's foreign policy included the opposition to any European intervention in newly independent countries in the Americas as well as establishing a colony for newly freed slaves, in Liberia, whose capital Monrovia is named after him.
- 1820-03-08 5th US President James Monroe's daughter Maria 1st child of a President to marry in the White House
- 1803-01-12 US Senate approves Thomas Jefferson's nomination of James Monroe and Robert Livingstone to negotiate purchase of New Orleans from France
- 1803-04-30 Chancellor Robert Livingston and James Monroe sign Louisiana Purchase Treaty in Paris at a cost of 15 million dollars, doubles the size of the USA
- 1816-12-04 James Monroe is elected to become the 5th President of the United States, defeating Rufus King of the Federalist Party
- 1817-03-04 James Monroe is inaugurated as the 5th President of the United States
- 1818-04-28 US President James Monroe proclaims naval disarmament on Great Lakes and Lake Champlain
- 1820-11-07 James Monroe re-elected US president
- 1823-12-02 President James Monroe declares his "Monroe Doctrine", a US foreign policy regarding Latin America