Biography: Novelist Jane Austen is now regarded as one of the greatest writers of social manners in the English language.
During her lifetime Austen published just four novels anonymously, focusing on everyday domestic life of the English middle class, before her early death at 41.
Austen's first novel was "Sense and Sensibility" in 1811. "Pride and Prejudice" (1813), her second, remains her most popular. Its lively heroine Elizabeth Bennett was Austen's favorite character and its hero Mr Darcy has become a model for the Romantic figure. In recent times, Colin Firth's portrayal of Mr Darcy in the 1995 BBC production has been particularly acclaimed.
Two further novels were published after her death in 1817.
Austen's stories continue to resonate and modern adaptations of her works are regularly produced and range from such films as "Clueless" (1995) to the book and film "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies".
- 1811-10-28 First known purchase of Jane Austen's novel "Sense and Sensibility" by the Prince Regent (later George IV), a fan
- 1813-01-28 Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice" is published by Thomas Egerton in the United Kingdom
- 1815-12-23 "Emma" By Jane Austen by published by John Murray in London
- 1995-09-24 TV adaptation of Jane Austen's "Pride and Prejudice", starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth debuts on BBC One
- 2005-09-11 "Pride & Prejudice", the film adaptation of Jane Austen's novel of the same name, starring Keira Knightley as Elizabeth Bennet, is released
- Emma - Jane Austin Society of North America