Biography: The youngest of the 10 Jackson children Janet began performing with her siblings from the age of 7. She split from her family musically to record her successful album 'Control' in 1986. Known for her mix of musical styles including funk, rhythm and blues and disco and her choreography and videos, Jackson is one of the best ever selling female artists. She achieved notoriety in 2004 during a wardrobe malfunction during a Super Bowl performance.
- 1984-09-07 American actress-singer Janet Jackson (18) weds Amwerican R&B singer James DeBarge (21); annulled in 1985
- 1985-01-07 Actress-singer Janet Jackson (18) divorces fellow R&B singer James DeBarge (21) only 4 months after getting married
- 1987-03-24 1st Soul Train Music Awards: Janet Jackson, Luther Vandross win
- 1989-09-19 "Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814" 4th studio album by Janet Jackson is released (Grammy Award Best Long Form Music Video 1990, Billboard Album of the Year 1990)
- 1990-03-14 4th Soul Train Music Awards: Soul II Soul, Janet Jackson win
- 1990-11-26 1st Billboard Music Awards: M.C. Hammer & Janet Jackson win
- 1991-01-28 18th American Music Awards: M.C. Hammer & Janet Jackson win
- 1991-03-11 Janet Jackson signs $40M 3 album deal with Virgin records
- 2002-01-09 29th American Music Awards: Janet Jackson & Lenny Kravitz win
- 2004-02-01 Wardrobe malfunction: Janet Jackson's breast is exposed during the half-time show of Super Bowl XXXVIII, resulting in US broadcasters adopting a stronger adherence to FCC censorship guidelines.
- 2004-03-20 18th Soul Train Music Awards: R. Kelly, Janet Jackson, Outkast & Beyoncé win
- 2018-11-04 Camila Cabello wins four awards at the MTV Europe Music Awards in Bilbao, Janet Jackson accepts the Global Icon award
- 2019-03-29 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees: The Cure; Def Leppard; Janet Jackson; Stevie Nicks; Radiohead; Roxy Music; and The Zombies