Why Famous: Rose to fame in the late 1960s as the lead singer of the psychedelic-acid rock band Big Brother and the Holding Company.
Later Joplin performed as a solo artist with her own backing groups, The Kozmic Blues Band and The Full Tilt Boogie Band.
She was also one of the major attractions at the Woodstock festival.
- 1966-06-10 Janis Joplin's 1st live concert (Avalon Ballroom in San Francisco)
- 1966-06-11 Janis Joplin plays her 1st gig (San Francisco)
- 1967-06-18 Closing day of the Monterey International Pop Festival, Southern California. First major US appearances of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, The WHO and Otis Redding
- 1968-09-28 Janis Joplin announces she's leaving "Big Brother & Holding Co"
- 1969-07-04 140,000 attend Atlanta Pop Festival featuring Led Zep and Janis Joplin
- 1969-11-15 Janis Joplin, accused of vulgar & indicent language in Tampa, Florida
- 1970-06-12 Rocker and blues singer Janis Joplin debuts in Kentucky